After an energizing and nostalgic “Talking GolfGetaways” Scotland Week, hosts Mitch Laurance and Darin Bunch offer up a double dose from their guests with Emergency 9 golf-travel quiz bonus episodes, brought to you by PacificGales.com. In Episode 46, award-winning Canadian golf journalist Lorne Rubenstein — who has traveled the world covering the game — is the perfect Emergency 9 victim as the hosts plunge deep into the depths of his golfing soul. And Lorne, with his extensive resume and distinctive ability to articulate his passion for the game, shares many insightful answers with the listeners.
Rubenstein’s answers are examples of why we love the Emergency 9: learning about interesting courses, destinations and golf-travel lifestyle choices.
- Find out what Royal West Norfolk Golf Club in England, Baja’s Cabo del Sol and Canada’s stunning Devil’s Paintbrush have in common.
- Learn why Aberdovey Golf Club in Wales, Sand Hills Golf Club in Nebraska, and Hirono Golf Club in Japan make up Lorne’s ultimate bucket-list courses.
- Ireland holds the key to two of Lorne’s favorite places to stay with Mount Juliet and Adare Manor making that short list.
- When it comes to food and travel, be surprised to find out why the 1983 World Cup in Sumatra produced the best thing he’s ever eaten on a golf trip. And for an accomplished author like Lorne, it’s no surprise that what he values most off the course are local bookstores and the chance to explore, wherever he goes.
- An 11 handicap who prefers to play from 6,000-6,300 yards, Rubenstein explains why legendary Canadians Moe Norman, Hall of Famer Marlene Streit and his own family doctor are on his Favorite Golf Playing Partners list.
- And in discussions about apparel and equipment, hear why Lorne believes everyone needs a great rain suit (he prefers Galvin Green), plus why he still plays an iconic set of Ping Eye 2 golf clubs.
- Finally, what’s the one course he wishes everyone knew about? Historic Addington Golf Club, dating back to 1913, near London gets the nod for its fun, creative layout.
It’s another fun, expansive Emergency 9 conversation full of golf-travel ideas, shared by one of our game’s most respected writers — and people — both on and off the course.
• • •
“Talking GolfGetaways with Mitch Laurance & Darin Bunch” is sponsored by PacificGales.com and can be found on GolfNewsNet.com and across the Golf News Net platform. New episodes post daily, five days per week (for the most part), and “Talking GolfGetaways” is also available on audioBoom, iTunes and Stitcher.
Follow us @GetawaysGolf and @MitchLaurance on Twitter, and use #Emergency, #TalkingGolfGetaways and #2HaggisBags to hit us with your personal Emergency 9 answers — you just might make it onto a future episode of “Talking GolfGetaways.”