After recounting his first-ever journey to the homeland of golf during our “Talking GolfGetaways” Scotland Week, longtime friend Vic Williams (former publisher of Fairways & Greens and GolfGetaways and now editor of Golf Tips magazine) dives back into the fun and games of golf-travel talk via the Emergency 9 questionnaire posed by hosts Mitch Laurance and Darin Bunch.
- Hear why Bandon Dunes Resort — and Pacific Dunes, specifically — still hold the top spot in his golfing heart so many years after his first visit to the Oregon coast, no matter how many other links courses he plays around the world.
- And what about the Bucket List for a traveling golfer who has already experienced so many of the world’s great golfing adventures? Both Vic and Mitch share a desire to explore the far-away-but-worth-it Sandbelt of Australia along with the island of Tasmania (only to be mocked by Darin, who recently crossed both off his own list).
- Places to Stay and Eat? The aptly-titled Enchantment Resort in Sedona, Arizona, was an easy choice for him (and a surprise to the hosts). Meanwhile, his story about a roadside fish restaurant on stilts in Thailand will leave you dreaming about the perfect seafood culinary experience.
- Kentwool socks make an appearance on Vic’s Emergency 9 (“Gotta keep your feet happy if you enjoy walking when you play,” he says). And speaking of walking, this 9.8 index loves a good set of combo tees in the range of 6,100-6,200 yards — giving him the best chance for full enjoyment of a round.
- Obviously Vic’s favorite playing partners are Mitch and Darin (LOL), but in truth he mentions good friend Bill Colton for his love of the game and his ability to simply have fun, as well as his enjoyment of a good laugh and music.
- Vic closes his Emergency 9 with two answers to What Course Do You Wish Everyone Knew About? — describing why he loves Gene Bates’ design at Circling Raven outside Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, and Black Mesa near Sante Fe, New Mexico, designed by Baxter Spann (one of our favorite golf architect names ever).
This Emergency 9 conversation is exactly what golf is ultimately about — sharing a great time with a good friend, having fun discussing memories and the places the game takes us and occasionally sticking the needle here and there. Darin and Mitch have been fortunate to have these encounters with Vic Williams for years, and we’re happy we got to share this one with you, our faithful “Talking GolfGetaways” listeners.
• • •
“Talking GolfGetaways with Mitch Laurance & Darin Bunch” is sponsored by PacificGales.com and can be found on GolfNewsNet.com and across the Golf News Net platform. New episodes post daily, five days per week (for the most part), and “Talking GolfGetaways” is also available on audioBoom, iTunes and Stitcher.
Follow us @GetawaysGolf and @MitchLaurance on Twitter, and use #Emergency, #TalkingGolfGetaways and #2HaggisBags to hit us with your personal Emergency 9 answers — you just might make it onto a future episode of “Talking GolfGetaways.”